Re: What is in a pipe?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:16:43 -0000

> That one is just awesome.

Thanks, I was quite pleased with it.

> It does beg Ed's point about timeliness. I only say anything because
> of Geoff's emphasis on packing/repacking implies a high level of
> consistency, while the cool script would be sampling inconsistently,
> if I understand this right. But the requirement of figuring out what
> is overloading the pipes and why may be satisfied. This depends on
> refining the requirement. If it's just going to be used by a couple
> of guys, ok, but if it's being put on top of a product or starts
> blindly propagating through the universe it's likely to lose the blog
> context...

The way I read the requirement, it was for a rapid, low-cost, diagnostic, just like any other snapshot of the dynamic performance views.

I think the references to unpacking and repacking were making the point that that wasn't a feasible option. In fact, if you unpack and repack, then you'll miss some stuff that comes in as you're getting stuff out, and some new stuff will come in and spoil the ordering as you put the old stuff back ! So I don't think you can do anything with consistent checking of pipes unless you stop the feed to do so.

I realised from your post that I put the wrong URL up for the article, so I've given the right one below.

http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/pipes/

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com