Re: using db_file_name_convert for RMAN 32 to 64 bit conversion.

From: GS <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:56:34 GMT

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:49:22 GMT, GS <gs_at_gs.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm a little confused about how this works, or if its just an option for
>> what I want to do, which is, take a copy of a production database on
>> windows 32 bit os and prepare it for windows x86 64 bit. Database is
>> 10.2.0.4
>>
>> So at RMAN prompt I put in:
>> RMAN> convert database new database '<newname>'
>> 2> transport script 'f:\oracle\backup\10g64\transport.sql'
>> 3> to platform 'Microsoft Windows x86 64-bit'
>> where <newname is what I want the database to be called on the 64 bit
>> server.
>>
>> The files exist in oracle\oradata\<dbname> files on d: and e: drives on
>> source server, will be in same directory structure on new server with
>> possibly different drives.
>>
>> Do I need to use the db_file_name_convert param here? If so, how?
>>
>> Searching tahiti on this but have found no clear directions yet..
>>
>> anyone here done this?
>>

>> thanks
>
> db_filename_convert will simply function as a REPLACE on a
> filenamestring.
> This means: if you don't include driveletters, they will not change.
>
> You can use multiple replacement strings, as long as they are in
> pairs.
>
> Hth

thanks - I ran a couple of test runs on a dev db, and no matter what I did it would just name the files 4 through 9 for all the database datafiles. It created a transport.sql script, so I was thinking if I just rename the files to match the original names and edit the transport.sql accordingly I should be ok? Same goes with the logfiles, although if I am recreating the controlfile they should not even be needed, correct? Received on Thu Jan 29 2009 - 17:56:34 CST

Original text of this message