Re: RMAN NEWNAME FEATURE

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:16:16 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 27, 11:39 am, p..._at_paulpowell.plus.com wrote:
> On 27 Jan, 19:27, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the response I didn't think it was possible we are unable
> > > to do the change before due to the source being a Production server,
> > > and there is not enough space on the Destination server for the large
> > > datafiles that exist in Production.
>
> > > We will use exp/imp to do the clone until we are able to gain more
> > > space on the test server.
>
> > > Again many thanks for your response.
>
> > You might be able to skip the index tablespace in the restore, and
> > script creation of index ts and indexes.  Haven't really thought it
> > through.  Note you can get the index creation scripts from exp/imp,
> > among other ways.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > _at_home.com is bogus.
> > In case of problems, please call your organisation's IT Helpdesk.- Hide quoted text -

> The script in my description was for demostration purposes and is not
> just an index tablespace all datafiles are of a large size on
> Production. I intend to badger my Support teams to get more disk space
> allocated to the test server and was looking for possible other
> solutions. I am unable to specify the exact sizes as I am out of the
> office.
>
> Again thank you for your time on this matter.

Hey, oftentimes the more relevant detail you give of the problem you want to solve, the better answer you can get. Another solution I've used when going between disparate platforms on a decent network is CTAS with a link. This can be quite fast, I've used it when I had some largish tables that needed to be migrated in a nightly window. There's a similar datapump option. Not too dangerous when you only go one way.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
This web page was blocked because it is considered inappropriate.