Re: RMAN NEWNAME FEATURE

From: <paul_at_paulpowell.plus.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:09:24 -0800 (PST)

On 27 Jan, 18:33, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 7:28 am, p..._at_paulpowell.plus.com wrote:
>

> > We have recently upgrade one of our systems to a new server which has
> > a different file structure in both location and size.
>
> >  Is there a way to split a single datafile over many datafiles when
> > using RMAN clone features.
>
> > For Example
>
> > Source file INDEX_01.dbf size 20GB
>
> > Destination file(s) INDEX_01.dbf size 10GB and INDEX_02.dbf size 10GB
>
> > RUN
>
> > {
>
> > set newname for datafile 1 to 'e:\Oracle\oradata\INDEX_01.DBF','e:
> > \Oracle\oradata\INDEX_02.DBF';
>
> > }
>
> > Many Thanks for all your advice.
>
> RMAN is a physical backup, so won't make a structural change like
> this.  You either need to use logical backups or make the change
> before or after the clone.  You may want to specify tablespaces with
> create index to control where things go.
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> stupid now or stupid later.http://media.www.thelantern.com/media/storage/paper333/news/2009/01/2...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the response I didn't think it was possible we are unable to do the change before due to the source being a Production server, and there is not enough space on the Destination server for the large datafiles that exist in Production.

We will use exp/imp to do the clone until we are able to gain more space on the test server.

Again many thanks for your response. Received on Tue Jan 27 2009 - 13:09:24 CST

Original text of this message