Re: ODBC SQLColums is very slow

From: Wolfram Roesler <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:04:05 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Hooper <> wrote in news:5f84af51-f214-4617-

> If the OP is able to offer a suggestion to the programmers, a trick
> that I have used in the past so that I have had no need for SQLColumns
> is to select into a recordset:
> *
> (or possible ROWNUM<1)

That looks like a nice alternative to SQLColumns. I think it would not be necessary to select anything (i. e. one could use a where clause that matches nothing). Perhaps WHERE 0=1 would even be more efficient than using ROWNUM? Would a FIRST_ROWS hint help? We are dealing with some big tables here, as well as with some views that point to DB links, so I'd like to use a query that accesses the data dictionary only without touching the actual table data.

Thanks and best regards
Wolfram Roesler Received on Tue Jan 27 2009 - 11:04:05 CST

Original text of this message