Re: Any chance to surpass 4000 character limit?

From: <stegemann_at_naviga.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 04:28:08 -0800 (PST)

On 27 Jan., 09:50, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Still, your database might eventually switch from ISO-8859-1 character
> encoding to, say, UTF-8 and there you have it: umlauts will occupy two
> bytes in UTF-8 instead of one in ISO-8859-1, and your maximum string
> length in characters will fall below 4000. Since maximum code point
> length in UTF-8 is 4 bytes, you can reliably fit at least 1000
> characters into 4000 bytes, but a string of any length beyond 1000
> characters is not guaranteed to fit. With UTF-32 every character
> occupies 4 bytes regardless, so maximum length of any string in
> characters is 1000.

Hi Vladimir,

at the moment I don't see any reason why we should ever change the character encoding. But anyway, thanks to your input and due to our research into the other DBMS's it seems we have to switch to CLOB fields (or text, varchar(max) fields respectively) anyway, so that the length limitation problem will be no issue anymore, however we will have to deal with other headaches, like implementing text search within those long fields in our code for all DBMS's involved.

Cheers
K-V Received on Tue Jan 27 2009 - 06:28:08 CST

Original text of this message