Re: Error 12154 - could not resolve the connect indentifier specified

From: ddf <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:06:46 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 9:43 am, jodleren <> wrote:
> Hi all
> I have to make to connect to two databases in other departsments. I am
> using 3 computers, my own, test intra server and intra server.
> I have updated the tnsnames.ora file on the test server, but it is the
> only one, which cannot connect to anything except our own server.
> The error:  ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect indentifier
> specified
> I get this error when trying to connect from the ODBC settings window.
> Passw is correct, as it works from my conmputer etc, and I am myself
> in both cases.
> Could anyone give me a hint of what I am missing?
> The test server has (AFAIK) never been configured to work outside, and
> now we need it. Also, it is not updated as much as our real stuff, so
> some settings might lack.
> Any ideas?
> Sonnich

Your tnsnames.ora file is, apparently, incorrectly configured or missing on this test machine or in a different location from the directory where Oracle expects to find it. A tnsping of the 'offending' service should produce an informative message indicating where this file should be located:

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version - Production on 26-JAN-2009 11:02:58

Copyright (c) 1997, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

When you have this information you can relocate the tnsnames.ora you have configured to its proper location.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 11:06:46 CST

Original text of this message