Re: Any chance to surpass 4000 character limit?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 04:11:57 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 2:58 pm, stegem..._at_naviga.de wrote:
> Hi Oracle experts,
>
> with Oracle 9i Release2, and/or Oracle 10g Release 2, is there any
> chance to surpass the 4000 character limit for a *searchable*
> character column? At the moment we are splitting longer texts into
> several rows, but since most other databases work with longer
> character columns we would like to increase the character length in
> our columns, in order to make searching easier.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Cheers
> Kay-Viktor

CLOB and an Oracle Text index over it should do the trick. You will need to change the way you *search* that column though (use CONTAINS() operator instead of LIKE/REGEXP_LIKE,) so this might not be an option for you.

By the way, the limit is 4000 BYTES, not CHARACTERS (when working with single-byte charsets you might never feel the difference, but as soon as you go international you will almost immediately bump into it.)

Hth,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 06:11:57 CST

Original text of this message