Re: Fast roll-back

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:07:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:37:30 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Mladen,
>
> I hadn't noticed that you'd said pmon instead of smon.
>
> I have a feeling that there was a time when pmon was the process that
> did the rollback if a user process crashed - but I don't recall when it
> could have changed.

In Oracle8i. Here is the post from Tom Kyte:

and we said...

In Oracle8i PMON defers transaction recovery of "killed" sessions to SMON which may use fast start parallel rollback if necessary. This frees up locks held by the killed process immediately. (see that init.ora parameter
definition)

Note: you should not allow yourself to get into a situation where this is happening
frequently. Something is really wrong if this is a frequently occurence. This should be
the exception to the rule, not standard operating procedure.

The URL is:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?
p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:1516805559652

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com