Re: Fast roll-back

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 02:38:36 +0100

Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> "Mladen Gogala" <> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:33:36 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:
>>> If the session is killed or the database is restarted (before the
>>> process commits its transaction) then smon handles the rollback.
>> I am humbled. My mentioning of PMON was a honest mistake, caused
>> by the aforementioned root canal.
> Mladen,
> I hadn't noticed that you'd said pmon instead of smon.
> I have a feeling that there was a time when pmon was the process that
> did the rollback if a user process crashed - but I don't recall when
> it could have changed.

If the following comment on oracle-l is true, both Mladen and yourself could be right:

"When you kill a process using alter system kill session then pmon will do the rollback/recovery, if instead you kill the OS process smon will do the recovery which might look more attractive sometimes since parallel can be used. Be aware of 100% CPU usage by smon and his parallel processes though.",4