Re: moving 10GR2 from server 2003 32bit to server 2008 64 bit - best method?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:59:46 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 22, 11:15 pm, GS <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
> GS wrote:
> Never mind, had a look and its nice to see Dizwell back up..
>
> Now I'm a bit concerned, but we've been testing a copy of the prod
> database for awhile now with no ill effects so far, but we're not using
> large pages either. We are upgrading the front end app so I created the
> DB with pretty well the same memory parameters as the 32 bit server.

We have been using large pages on Windows 2003 x64 running Oracle 10.2.0.2 for almost three years with few problems (need to be careful when moving large files on the server while the database instances are up). You will likely find that there is a need to slightly increase the parameters affecting memory allocation when moving from 32 bit to 64 bit (64 bit requires a slightly larger SGA).

The Windows documentation states that both the 32 bit version of Oracle 10g and the 64 bit version use 64 bit file offsets internally - it looks like the same applies to Oracle 9i R2: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96530/migintro.htm "The on-disk format for database data, redo, and undo is identical for the 32-bit and 64-bit installations of Oracle. The only internal structural differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit installations are the following:
* The compiled format of PL/SQL is different. The instructions for how and when to recompile PL/SQL are provided in the appropriate chapters of this book.
* The storage format of user-defined types is based on the release of Oracle that created the database. The existing storage format will be transparently converted to the correct format when necessary. Userdefined  types include object types, REFs, varrays, and nested tables."

The same description is provided on page 1-8 here: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/server.101/b10763.pdf

The documentation seems to indicate that the conversion should be fairly easy.

In addition to emp/imp, expdp and impdp also work well (at least easier than retyping all of the information currently in the database).

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Jan 23 2009 - 05:59:46 CST

Original text of this message