Re: ODBC SQLColums is very slow

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:49:48 +0100

Gerard H. Pille schreef:
> Shakespeare schreef:
>>

>> I ran the second query with the join (with actual tablenames) with sql
>> plus on one of our production databases; takes more than a second as
>> well. If I persist running the same query on the same table, it tunes
>> down to 0,6 seconds. So it seems it's a slow query anyway.... so
>> replacing ODBC with anything else won't help much. It's the second
>> part of the union that is slow. The first part runs within 0.1 second.
>> Joining all_tab_columns with all_synonyms seems a bad idea....
>>
>> Shakespeare

> There is another solution that I found on the web.
>
> In the schema of the user running the query, create tables all_synonyms
> and all_tab_columns, ...
>
> Fill them with data and add the necessary indexes.
>

> Barbatruc.

Or create a synonym ALL_SYNONYMS for DBA_SYNONYMS. (Sounds like a wonderful META operation). And pray ALL_SYNONYMS isn't used anywhere else... DBA_SYNONYMS contains all the rows of ALL_SYNONYMS plus some more (so ALL is not ALL at all).

It's ALL_SYNONYMS that is bugging the query. See one of my other posts in this discussion. Filling tables is not such a good idea, because you would have to update them every time a synonym or table is created....

Shakespeare Received on Thu Jan 22 2009 - 03:49:48 CST

Original text of this message