Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH in mixed environment

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:23:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:16:46 -0800, hpuxrac wrote:

> Set it to the 11g correct environment for your clusterware and 11g ASM
> ... my 64 bit OEL 5.1 environment has only the ORACLE library plus /lib
> and /usr/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH ( with oracle first ).

This is not necessary. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib is sufficient. Program loader will search for the libraries in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in addition to /usr/lib and /lib. Here is an excerpt from "man ld". Look under 7:

           The linker uses the following search paths to locate required

           shared libraries.

  1. Any directories specified by -rpath-link options.
  2. Any directories specified by -rpath options. The difference between -rpath and -rpath-link is that directories specified by -rpath options are included in the executable and used at runtime, whereas the -rpath-link option is only effective at link time. It is for the native linker only.
  3. On an ELF system, if the -rpath and "rpath-link" options were not used, search the contents of the environment variable "LD_RUN_PATH". It is for the native linker only.
  4. On SunOS, if the -rpath option was not used, search any direc- tories specified using -L options.
  5. For a native linker, the contents of the environment variable "LD_LIBRARY_PATH".
  6. For a native ELF linker, the directories in "DT_RUNPATH" or "DT_RPATH" of a shared library are searched for shared libraries needed by it. The "DT_RPATH" entries are ignored if "DT_RUNPATH" entries exist.
  7. The default directories, normally /lib and /usr/lib.
  8. For a native linker on an ELF system, if the file /etc/ld.so.conf exists, the list of directories found in that file.

           If the required shared library is not found, the linker will issue

           a warning and continue with the link.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com