Re: Hundreds of perl-processes in Linux, Oracle

From: sybrandb <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:29:18 -0800 (PST)

On 21 jan, 14:18, "Maija-Leena" <> wrote:
> Hi,
> we have multiple Oracle databases in different Linux servers
> (different Linux versions) and all of them face the same problem every now
> and then. The database server gets very slow and with top-command I see
> hundreds of processes with user=oracle and command=perl and load average is
> for example 219 ! Any idea what these processes are ? If I kill them, they
> soon appear again. The only way to get rid of them is to shutdown the
> database. Maybe this problem disappears with the latest patches ?
> Regards,
> Maija-Leena

The problem disappears with any of the following alternatives 1 get more processing power
2 stop using the database control and start monitoring your database using homegrown scripts.
3 Dump Oracle in favor (cross all that apply) SQL server|My SQL| Postgre SQL|punch cards.

The dbcontrol extensively uses Perl-scripts to monitor the database. I don't think this is going to stop anytime soon

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA