Re: ODBC SQLColums is very slow

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:33:50 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 20, 1:15 pm, "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> wrote:
> Hallo Charles,
>
> we're plagued by third party applications sending those kind of queries time and again, while
> the authors deny any involvement.  My conclusion was also that ODBC had to be the culprit.
> Every two seconds they query what indexes are defined on the same table.
>
> So, where can we switch from ODBC to OLEDB?   Or do we depend on the third party for that change?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gerard

Gerald,

Changing from ODBC to OLEDB will require a change to the program code, although switching from the Microsoft ODBC driver to the Oracle provided ODBC driver might change, for better or worse, what SQL statements are automatically submitted by the ODBC connector.

An ODBC connection string will look something like this, where "MyConn" is the name of the ODBC connection:  Data Source=MyConn;User ID=UserNameHere;Password=PasswordHere;

An OleDB connection string will look something like this, where MySID is specified in tnsnames.ora:
 Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=MySID;User ID=UserNameHere;Password=PasswordHere;

There is a small chance that making the above change will result in errors within the program where bind variables are defined - some bind variable type constants which were understood by ODBC may not be understood by OleDB. Such a change will also likely make the application slightly less database independent, if that is a concern.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Tue Jan 20 2009 - 13:33:50 CST

Original text of this message