Re: Upgrade Plan

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:12:36 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 18, 1:40 pm, Ruud de Koter <nob..._at_internet.org> wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > On Jan 17, 8:28 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > snip

> >> Actually, if they paid for them, VxFS/CFS with VCS is better
> >> then ASM/CRS combination. Have in mind that ASM is not a fully
> >> fledged file system and it's much harder to copy files to and from
> >> ASM then it is to copy files to and from a file system. Also, VxFS
> >> has caching (and cache coherence, of course) so you will not grow
> >> old when waiting for scp to copy a file from a VxFS file system.
> >> I wouldn't throw away those licenses, far from it.
>
> > We eventually ditched RAC and are now completing a hpux to linux
> > migration.  When we were running rac on hpux service guard and raw
> > worked well for us ( no veritas licenses ).  At some point hp and so
> > hpux started bundling in part of the veritas cluster software with
> > service guard ... but that happened after we were headed in a
> > different direction.
>
> > With all the attention on the quality of oracle support *cough cough*
> > there is no shortage of people wondering if it would not be better to
> > avoid having your database vendor also provide your clustering
> > software but of course oracle prevents that at the 10g level and
> > above.
>
> A very interesting post that rather stimulates my imagination. As I am
> to formulate a policy for our databases (central or decentrealized
> management), I am almost certain to run into the question "Why not
> set up a RAC implementation?" at some point. Would you please outline
> the sensitivities when choosing to do so (or more bluntly: would you
> share what brought you to ditch RAC)? I think that would be a voice
> from practice that could be very valuable for our decision making.
>
> My sincere thanks in advance,
>
> Ruud de Koter.

Email me individually and I can give my a phone number.

The topic of to RAC or not really has been nailed by Moans Nogood ( a former Oracle employee ) ( he has a real name ) ... try searching for moans nogood ( and the words ) why you probably don't need RAC.

He has written and framed the overall picture much better than I could. His experience and breadth of knowledge is not to be underestimated. Received on Sun Jan 18 2009 - 13:12:36 CST

Original text of this message