Re: Upgrade Plan

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 06:16:22 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 8:28 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> >  with 10g you can dump
> > those expensive VCS licenses and use RAC/CRS only.
>
> Actually, if they paid for them, VxFS/CFS with VCS is better
> then ASM/CRS combination. Have in mind that ASM is not a fully
> fledged file system and it's much harder to copy files to and from
> ASM then it is to copy files to and from a file system. Also, VxFS
> has caching (and cache coherence, of course) so you will not grow
> old when waiting for scp to copy a file from a VxFS file system.
> I wouldn't throw away those licenses, far from it.

We eventually ditched RAC and are now completing a hpux to linux migration. When we were running rac on hpux service guard and raw worked well for us ( no veritas licenses ). At some point hp and so hpux started bundling in part of the veritas cluster software with service guard ... but that happened after we were headed in a different direction.

With all the attention on the quality of oracle support *cough cough* there is no shortage of people wondering if it would not be better to avoid having your database vendor also provide your clustering software but of course oracle prevents that at the 10g level and above. Received on Sun Jan 18 2009 - 08:16:22 CST

Original text of this message