Re: Upgrade Plan

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:38:02 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 11:07 am, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

snip

> > Questions
>
> > a) What dependency 9.2.0.8 will have on OS, VCS  ? I mean OS patch, VCS
> > Ver etc.
>
> Your HPUX is much newer then the database release you are planning to
> patch to. There should be no problems whatsoever but the best thing to
> do is to get an official opinion from Oracle support. I am a Linux guy,
> my HP-UX days were a long time ago and ended with HP-UX 11.0

9.2.0.8 patchset will want certain hpux patches in place. If you are anywhere relatively current in hpux maintenance shouldn't be any problems.

But why not plan on doing an OS patching process "before" doing the 9.2.0.8 upgrade?

You do the upgrade to the oracle software first then update the database. Certain parts of the process have to be done in a non-RAC operation ( single instance ) ... it's all pretty well documented.

> > b) Can we go ahead upgrading the Oracle Server software alone to 9.2.0.8
> >  and do the upgrade of Oracle client 9.2.0.6 later?

You also have the client on the server do you mean? If so yeah you can do it that way.

You might want to get client updated more than 9.2.0.8. Received on Sat Jan 17 2009 - 10:38:02 CST

Original text of this message