Re: diskgroup calculations

From: just_real <jthlcf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:21:23 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 15, 12:05 pm, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 7:56 pm, just_real <jth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi
>
> > I am using this query to display the size of the diskgroups in Oracle
> > and manually adding the figures up to get the total size of the
> > diskgroup.
>
> > select b.instance_name, a.LABEL,a.NAME,a.TOTAL_MB,a.GROUP_NUMBER from
> > $asm_disk a, v$asm_client b where a.group_number = b.group_number;
>
> > The question I have is:
>
> > 1. Is there a better way to work out the calculations of total
> > diskgroup size?
>
> > 2. The above query only works if the diskgroup is managed by ASM. What
> > would I be doing if there is no ASM? What would I have to change in
> > the query above?
>
> > Thank you.
>
> Hi,
>
> 1)  select total_mb,free_mb from v$asm_diskgroup;
> 2)  I don't understand the question.  What diskgroup is not is ASM?
> Do you mean a disk that is a candidate device, but not part of a
> diskgroup?  I think there is a column for that (state or status, I
> think), but I don't remember the name.  You can filter the correct
> column in v$asm_disk and sum the bytes to get the total size of
> devices not allocated.
>
> In linux, you can also do a...
>
> blockdev --getsize /dev/raw/$RAW_DEVICE_NAME
>
> HTH,
>
> Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry for my terminologies - still a newb and just realised that diskgroups = ASM. I think what I was trying to ask was how then would i calculate the size for a non-disk group.

I will try to paint a scenario - I've got A1, A2 are cluster databases managed by ASM. Using the query that I had above would give me the size of the A diskgroup. But on the same server is B on its own. So I guess how would I calculate the size of the B filesystem? (i hope i am making sense)

Thanks again Received on Wed Jan 14 2009 - 19:21:23 CST

Original text of this message