Re: diskgroup calculations

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:05:01 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 7:56 pm, just_real <jth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using this query to display the size of the diskgroups in Oracle
> and manually adding the figures up to get the total size of the
> diskgroup.
>
> select b.instance_name, a.LABEL,a.NAME,a.TOTAL_MB,a.GROUP_NUMBER from
> $asm_disk a, v$asm_client b where a.group_number = b.group_number;
>
> The question I have is:
>
> 1. Is there a better way to work out the calculations of total
> diskgroup size?
>
> 2. The above query only works if the diskgroup is managed by ASM. What
> would I be doing if there is no ASM? What would I have to change in
> the query above?
>
> Thank you.

Hi,

  1. select total_mb,free_mb from v$asm_diskgroup;
  2. I don't understand the question. What diskgroup is not is ASM? Do you mean a disk that is a candidate device, but not part of a diskgroup? I think there is a column for that (state or status, I think), but I don't remember the name. You can filter the correct column in v$asm_disk and sum the bytes to get the total size of devices not allocated.

In linux, you can also do a...

blockdev --getsize /dev/raw/$RAW_DEVICE_NAME

HTH, Steve Received on Wed Jan 14 2009 - 19:05:01 CST

Original text of this message