Re: help with select for update

From: Thomas Olszewicki <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:56:44 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 11:47 am, wrote:
> Dear group,
> I am trying to debug a problem with FGAC, i enable the policy on a
> table
> When i do
> SQL>select count(*) from tableA where col=1;
>   COUNT(*)
> ----------
>          1
> I can get the row without problem
> But when i do
> SQL>select count(*) from tableA where col=1 for update nowait;
> no rows selected
> I do not see any errors, and i can not get the lock neither.
> What could be wrong?
> Thanks for your help

I don't have any policies in FGAC activated, but : In Oracle 10g and 11g:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM <table> WHERE <condition> FOR UPDATE NOWAIT; raises an error:
"ORA-01786: FOR UPDATE of this query expression is not allowed"

You cannot select "count(*)" for update. It looks like FGAC hides this error with incorrect message "no rows selected".

Thomas Received on Wed Jan 14 2009 - 12:56:44 CST

Original text of this message