Re: Reviews of Dan Tow's "SQL Tuning"?

From: mathewbutler <mathewbutler_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:14:36 -0800 (PST)

I liked Dan Tows book. Although I only made it three quarters through due to pressure of work and a change of role. It presents a useful means of conceptualising what the optimizer does without requiring as much analytical maths as Jonathans book. As it deals with concepts, it is not Oracle specific, but Oracle does get a few mentions. I read this after Cost Based Oracle : Fundamentals. I found I enjoyed CBOF more, though Dan Tows book gave me a different and useful way of thinking about the SQL optimization problem, as well as a graphical means of query representation . I'd recommend to someone new to Databases optimisers and even someone with experience looking to read around the subject.

I plan to go back and finish it off, but it's in the queue behind Opitimizng Oracle Performance, forecasting Oracle Performance and a reread  of Cost Based Oracle - that is unless CBOF part two doesn't make it to the bookshelves in the meantime :0)

Best Regards