Re: Reviews of Dan Tow's "SQL Tuning"?

From: hpuxrac <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:14:38 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 11:47 am, "Jonathan Lewis" <> wrote:

> > I have seen several posts that mention this book as part of a reply,
> > but I wanted to get a separate thread for it in case anyone has a
> > string opinion on it one way or the other.
> >
> > It seems pretty generic, so I wonder if it has value for an oracle
> > specific user?  It was printed in 2003, so is the methodology still
> > relevant, especially for Oracle?

> Sorry about any abortive attempts to post - if they appear.
> Dan Tow's book is one of the few I've bothered to buy.

> In a way, his book mirrors mine quite nicely. He says a lot
> about "this is what you should know about the data", and
> I say "this is what the optimizer believes about the data".
> So my book tells you why Oracle didn't do what Dan's
> book tells you is the appropriate path. (And my book
> also tells you how you can share your information with
> the optimizer so that it does do what Dan's book says
> it should).

I have seen the book a couple of times ( Borders I think ? ). With the remarks Jonathan made it sounds like a reasonable investment.

Wondering if Guy Harrison will get out a new or updated book at some point. I always thought his book was a great starting point for many developers new to oracle. Received on Mon Jan 12 2009 - 14:14:38 CST

Original text of this message