Re: Help required - URGENT PLS

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:34:30 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 2:23 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 9:50 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Noons, congratulations, you made the news:http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/news_oracle_customer_complains_...
> > Good to see that there is an alternative for Metalink, I wonder if
> > they provide Oracle patches also.  :-)
>
> Sorry Charles you have to pay oracle for support to be able to
> "legitimately" apply patches.  One of the guys who still posts here
> quite a bit at one point was working for an organization where somehow
> he had access to patchsets but claimed he did not have to operate
> under the metalink support contract framework but that sounded pretty
> shaky.
>
> Looks like the guy famous for bleeding all over New York is trying to
> throw some heat on Jeff Hunter and Nuno as some kind of backwards
> publicity for his "business".  As long as you can solve all your
> problems by firing silver bullets and not using any oracle software
> besides the base releases ... well caveat emptor.

You got that right.

I'd go further and state, categorically, declaring a production Oracle system "stable" and ending support is stupid on its face, and becomes increasingly stupid over time. One way or another, you need it eventually, and the further out of date you are at that time, the worse off you will be.

I've also seen it where support is provided by third parties, and they go away, leaving the customer in the lurch. Oracle Partners just need to pay a fee to be called that, and may be scurillous. Even legitimate ones can and do go bad. I couldn't say what the quality of Burleson's organization is (and think some of his detractors go too far), but he certainly abuses the online community. And yes, I've been on the receiving end of their psycho phone calls.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
You can't get it at Alice's Restaurant: