"Page refreshed" Time displayed by dbcontrol ?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:31:26 -0800 (PST)

I posted this question on the OTN forum a couple of days ago, but got no response, thought I'd try here.

Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 on HP-UX Itanium

Just noticed this:

SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

09-jan-2009 11:21:41

SQL> !date
Fri Jan 9 11:21:44 CST 2009

OK, 3-second diff to fat-finger the second command. But just a few seconds later (again, to swap windows and do a screen refresh, the home page of my dbcontrol says "Page Refreshed Jan 9, 2009 11:29:21 AM". That's a difference of 7 minutes and change, not to mention that the difference is still in the future as far as the db is concerned.

I checked MetaLink and found note 338481.1 which purports to answer this very question. All it says is oem gets the date from the host system and discrepancies may be due to time zone issues. But what I'm seeing would indicated there's more to it. If I were seeing a timezone issue, I should be off by increments of even hours, not several minutes;

So, we tried a little experiment of restarting dbconsole, and when it came back up, "Page Refreshed" time was consistent with sysdate / os time.

It would appear that some component of oem gets system time at oem startup, but then just runs with that, allowing it to eventually drift. And since we do a full shutdown of all oracle components every night, seeing an 8 minute differential in about 8 hours looks like a siginificant drift.

Can someone shed some light on this? Obviously not an operational problem, just an intellectual curiosity as to what is going on, not so evident from the docs I've seen.

TIA. Received on Sun Jan 11 2009 - 15:31:26 CST

Original text of this message