default select order

From: Maija-Leena <kangasmaki_at_netti.fi>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:14:21 GMT

Hi,
we have changed from Oracle 7 to Oracle10g2 and found a mistake from our program that didn't appear in the old environment.

That is, we have two select-statements that should return rows in the same order but there is no order by -clause.
Now I'm wondering why 10g2 works like this (every time I query)? What determines the order of the returned rows? SELECT X FROM TABLE_Z WHERE SOMETHING ='SOMETHING' ; A

SELECT Y FROM TABLE_Z WHERE SOMETHING='SOMETHING' ; Avoin (refers to A)

Ei kaytossa (refers to E)

Valmis (refers to V)

If I change the first query to SELECT X,Y, then I get the same order than the last query. Column Y is not in primary key or any index. Is there a way to fix this in the database ?

Regards,

Maija-Leena Received on Wed Jan 07 2009 - 07:14:21 CST

Original text of this message