Re: Oracle Certification DBA or Developer

From: Sanjeev <sanjeev.atvankar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 02:47:47 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 3, 3:01 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2:57 am, Sanjeev <sanjeev.atvan..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear Gurus,
>
> >   I have got 2.5 years experience in Oracle 9i (SQL, PL/SQL) with
> > Java.
> >   Mostly Database development (SQL, PL/SQL).
> >   I want do a certification in Oracle and having a doubt where should
> > go?
> >   Whether Developer or DBA track, as well as which certification I
> > need to go for so as to become career in Oracle.
> >   Which certification will be suitable for me.
> >   Whether Oracle 10g certification OR Oracle 9i certification
>
> >   Since I am not working on D2k
>
> >  Could any one provide suggestion for me.
>
> > Regards
> > Sanjeev
>
> I basically agree with David and Mark.
>
> Sometimes I answer this question from people without experience that
> by the time they've worked a couple of years as a developer, they
> should have an idea what the differences are and perhaps which way
> they might be happiest.  Your post is making me rethink that answer
> (and I thank you for that).  I'm guessing it may be entirely possible
> to be in places without any explicit DBA role, and get developer
> experience without seeing what proper administration is all about (and
> certainly, some people have pointed out how many products seem to show
> that in a negative way).
>
> What have you observed?
>
> If I were in your situation as I understand it, I'd take the developer
> path, then the DBA path, they both have useful information that you
> don't get exposed to in particular jobs, and each has some info useful
> in the other job.  But always take everything they say with a critical
> eye, some information is wrong, some is misleading, some is sales
> fluff.  Try things yourself when possible.  Don't believe anyone who
> tries to sell you anything with the idea it will help you get a
> particular job, that's a common scam.
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> "En route to Goleta" - electronic sign on Amtrak train headed away
> from Goleta for hours.

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Ultimately I decided to go for developer track. I want to do a certification in SQL and PL-SQL.

Could anyone provide me below things.
- Certification code for SQL and PL-SQL (for Oracle 10g). - any tutorial or reference books(Oracle10g).

Thanking in advance
Sanjeev Received on Tue Jan 06 2009 - 04:47:47 CST

Original text of this message