Children with multiple parents

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:01:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

10.2.0.4 64 bit Enterprise on SuSE 2.6.16

I have been working on a small application to allow us to print a hierarchical list of affected systems when a change is made to another system. For example, when a change is made to our storage system, we want a report that may look like the following...

DMX
  DB1
    APPSERVER1
      APACHE1
    APPSERVER2

      APACHE1
      APACHE2

  DB2
    APPSERVER2
    APPSERVER3
  DB3
    APPSERVER1
    DB2 (database link)

I have been struggling to get this to work with a connect by prior structure. I ended up writing a pipelined table function that provides what we need, but I am fairly sure it is not the best way to do this.

Before I spend my weekend spinning my wheels, can anyone comment as to whether model where multiple children can be related to multiple parents (and vice versa) can be handled by connect by prior? If not, is there a better way that jumps out at you?

Thanks,

Steve Received on Fri Jan 02 2009 - 15:01:56 CST

Original text of this message