Re: Oracle Certification DBA or Developer

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 05:40:46 -0800 (PST)

Comments embedded.

On Jan 2, 4:57 am, Sanjeev <sanjeev.atvan..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Gurus,
>
>   I have got 2.5 years experience in Oracle 9i (SQL, PL/SQL) with
> Java.
>   Mostly Database development (SQL, PL/SQL).

You've not installed 10.2.0 and at least 'played' with it at home? Much has changed between 9i and 10g (and much more between 10g and 11g) so your skillset is somewhat lacking.

>   I want do a certification in Oracle and having a doubt where should
> go?

I'd install at least 10.2.0.1 and get used to the 'new' features 9.2.0 didn't have. Then I'd begin to work toward a certification on the 10g Developer track, since you've been working as a developer for the last 2+ years.

>   Whether Developer or DBA track, as well as which certification I
> need to go for so as to become career in Oracle.

You need to be familiar with at least 10g (10.2.0.3 or 10.2.0.4) if you want to maintain any marketability.

>   Which certification will be suitable for me.
>   Whether Oracle 10g certification OR Oracle 9i certification

Why certify on a release which is no longer supported? You need exposure to 10g so, in my opinion, that's your best route to certification.

>   Since I am not working on D2k

Designer 2000 hasn't been supported for at least 6 years, so I wonder why you mention this outdated product.

>  Could any one provide suggestion for me.
>
> Regards
> Sanjeev

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jan 02 2009 - 07:40:46 CST

Original text of this message