Re: When should one rebuild an index?

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:41:34 -0600

"Robert Klemme" <> wrote in message
> On 28.12.2008 02:41, Bob Jones wrote:
>> I don't know what your definition of "meaningless" is here. How could
>> something be "meaningless" yet provides a specific piece of information.
> It provides a bit of data, whether that is information depends on the
> usefulness. If you cannot do anything with it, it's just data.

Hmmm, so it provides meaningless data about index structures and space usage. I wonder why Oracle went through all that trouble.

>>> Whatever numbers you get from ANALYZE - they are only a snapshot of the
>>> current index structure. Without further information about the data,
>>> change nature and frequency it is pretty useless because your perfectly
>>> rebuilt index might be back to before in less time than you needed for
>>> the rebuild rendering rebuilding of this index useless to harmful.
>> No one is saying that cannot be the case - a special case I might add.
> From what I read in Richard's blog it is a much more common case than
> usually assumed.

Common case for you may not be for OP or others. I for one would not make any assumption of OP's case and dismiss what he was doing. Received on Sun Dec 28 2008 - 11:41:34 CST

Original text of this message