Re: When should one rebuild an index?

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 23:49:13 -0600

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1230425754.597314_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> Bob Jones wrote:
>
>> Perhaps, instead of looking at stats, we just need an Ace Director to
>> orchestrate DBAs what to use or not to use in all situations.
>
> Cute Bob. Really cute. The advice you are hearing from Oakies, from
> Aces, from internal Oracle resources is the same. If you wish to ignore
> it that is certainly your choice.
>
> None of us make a dollar if you take our advice. None of us lose a wink
> of sleep if you ignore it. The simple fact is that sooner or later your
> employer will contact one of us to bail the bilge. Whether you will still
> be there when that happens is irrelevant tous. But a cautionary
> note to you and others who think attitude trumps aptitude. There is a
> reason why Oracle is being so successful selling the "you need fewer
> DBAs" mantra. CIOs and CTOs see too many dollars wasted on people that
> don't read. Too many dollars wasted on people that go to classes and
> still keep doing things the old way. Too many dollars wasted on people
> that think they know better than Tom Kyte (still not using bind
> variables), Richard Foote (still rebuilding indexes), Jonathan Lewis
> (still tuning based on BHCR), etc.

Hmmm, I have been here well over 10 years and still happily employed. In fact, our company is still doing very well in this down economy. There is nothing wrong with showing attitude or aptitude, just not by throwing people's names around though.

> What I am telling you in simple terms is that you can run ANALYZE
> INDEX from now until you are a member of the gray-hair-no-hair crowd
> like me and you will not once see anything that will clearly indicate
> that your database will benefit from an index rebuild. It is the wrong
> tool. You can start figuring that out for yourself here if you wish:
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/statements_4005.htm#SQLRF01105.

I see no part of this doc suggesting ANALYZE being useless in determining index rebuild. Where?
Yes, it may take some time to make sense of the stats, but no longer than finding the NEED_REBUILD column in the index views.

> If you think I'm wrong write up a White Paper and I will be happy to
> provide you an opportunity to present it at a conference. If you just
> want to stand on the sidelines and throw stones the line forms to the
> right.
> --

Actually someone already did that at the last OpenWorld. ANALYZE and index rebuilds were repeatedly used together to illustrate his points. Oracle might still have a copy of it. Received on Sat Dec 27 2008 - 23:49:13 CST

Original text of this message