Re: When should one rebuild an index?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:10:16 -0800

Bob Jones wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message

>> Bob Jones wrote:
>>> <shweta.kaparwan_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> INDEX_STATS is populated by ANALYZE only. Your CBO data collected by
>>> DBMS_STATS are safe.
>> The CBO data is safe but what you are suggesting as criteria irrelevant.
>>

> What criteria?

I will state it clearly.

The data collected by ANALYZE does not lead to a conclusion as to whether an index should be rebuilt. In other words ... the fact that CBO data is not destroyed is irrelevant. Time is being spent, CPU and I/O wasted, producing a metric that is not a relevant criteria.

This is not different from the same mythologist promoting Buffer Cache Hit Ratios. Yes you can generate a value. A numeric value. But valid conclusions can not be drawn from that numeric value. Only, perhaps, about the person that suggested making a decision based upon it.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor