Re: When should one rebuild an index?

From: Charles Hooper <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:55:42 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 26, 7:57 pm, wrote:
> Hi
> We can use
>  command on the affected indexes - each invocation of this command
> creates a single row in the INDEX_STATS view.
> Thus determining the indexes which are good candidates for rebuilding.
> BUT my doubt  is that if,
> we use dbms_stats to gather the statstistics for CBO using cascade
> option. Then if
> ANALYZE INDEX <index> VALIDATE STRUCTURE  is ran , that what will be
> fate of the stattistics gathered using dbms_stat for index( cascade
> option).
> Also, analyze command is deprecated now. So is there any other way to
> find out the indexes which needs rebuilding.?
> Thanks.

Take a look at the following links, which should help you find the answer to the question of when one should rebuild indexes: (several very helpful blog entries)

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Dec 26 2008 - 19:55:42 CST

Original text of this message