Re: When should one rebuild an index?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:55:42 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 26, 7:57 pm, shweta.kapar..._at_googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> We can use
> ANALYZE INDEX <index> VALIDATE STRUCTURE
>  command on the affected indexes - each invocation of this command
> creates a single row in the INDEX_STATS view.
> Thus determining the indexes which are good candidates for rebuilding.
>
> BUT my doubt  is that if,
> we use dbms_stats to gather the statstistics for CBO using cascade
> option. Then if
> ANALYZE INDEX <index> VALIDATE STRUCTURE  is ran , that what will be
> fate of the stattistics gathered using dbms_stat for index( cascade
> option).
>
> Also, analyze command is deprecated now. So is there any other way to
> find out the indexes which needs rebuilding.?
>
> Thanks.

Take a look at the following links, which should help you find the answer to the question of when one should rebuild indexes: http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/category/index-rebuild/ (several very helpful blog entries)
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/index-rebuild/ http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/index-rebuild-10g/

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Dec 26 2008 - 19:55:42 CST

Original text of this message