Re: shaggy dba joke

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:08:53 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 25, 10:17 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> I resisted joining linkedin.com for a long time, somehow I had the
> idea it was for headhunters and finding jobs and that sort of thing.
> My alumni association sent an email saying they now had a group there,
> so I thought, ok, I'll join for that, there're some people I wouldn't
> mind reconnecting with.  Maybe some old work buddies would show up
> too, I miss some of them.

I tried resisting the linked thing too for a long time also but there were just too many people pushing it to ignore totally. If you aren't actively looking for a change usefullness and useability do seem marginal. I am a member ( and an officer ) in our local oracle users group and we just started thinking about if we can get any mileage from linked ... not sure if this is going to go anywhere or not. I am generally not real impressed with what I have seen from it so far but haven't really tried much.

> So what appears in my email, but someone in the Senior Oracle DBA
> group has started a DBA joke thread among all the hot DBA jobs in
> Bangalore junk.  The usual semi-lame jokes, hey, it would be
> appropriate to link to some old posts here.  Hmmm, no directions on
> how to post links, just something about "type your comment here."
> Fair enough, I type a comment, paste in a bare link, see what
> happens.  It seems to work, I can right-click and open it in another
> tab, though it seems to throw the format of the linkedin thread off,
> cutting off the part that shows who I am.  It says I have 14 minutes
> to edit the comment, cool, I edit it and and add some more comment and
> another link.  Save it, links don't work.  WTF?  Edit it again, notice
> that it puts square brackets around the link, and has now put double
> square brackets around the link, making them bad.  Remove brackets,
> save, now links work.  OK, fair enough, add more comment, save, edit
> some more, oh shoot, forgot to remove brackets, ok, edit again... no
> comment, no link to edit or add comments.  Looks like I ended that
> thread!  hahaha!  Viewing the html source of the thread now, looks
> like one really can break the interface with inline code.  A much
> better joke than I intended.

Perhaps some way for some admin to fix the thread if you get someone involved? Received on Thu Dec 25 2008 - 22:08:53 CST

Original text of this message