Re: Question about Queries

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:38:27 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 25, 5:30 am, William Robertson <williamr2..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 9:30 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >Second, is using EXECUTE IMMEDIATE for doing a SELECT faster than a
> > >normal coded SELECT?
>
> I must admit I could never see the sense of the "IMMEDIATE" keyword
> here. Perhaps the standard allows for some "DEFERRED" option for
> background submission, that no vendor currently supports? Otherwise
> you'd think EXECUTE STATEMENT would have made rather more sense. Then
> again anything is possible from the geniuses who came up with LEFT and
> RIGHT alternatives for join syntax.

That struck me odd, got curious, found this: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db29.doc.sqlref/db2z_sql_executeimmediate.htm

And stretching the brain some, Oracle native dynamic sql basically has prepare and execute, they just don't call it that: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28370/dynamic.htm#BHCFDIAI

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Christmas_in_Canada