Re: Synonym in trucate table, drop table ...

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:27:28 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 20, 1:18 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> >> So why can't you truncate over a link?  Doesn't that specify a
> >> particular table/owner?  But it acts like a synonym, which I guess it
> >> must be.
>
> >> jg
> >> --
> >> @home.com is bogus.
> >> If at first you don't succeed... jump off!http://video.signonsandiego.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=2531504&i...Hide quoted text -

> > I noticed that Oracle allows truncate in some DDL statements but not
> > in others. I do not find any consistenecy in what Oracle does, If it
> > lets us delete rows from a table,  why it won't let you drop a table.
>
> TRUNCATE and DELETE are two entirely different things. First off the
> first is DDL and the second DML. Secondly I can recover from the later
> with ROLLBACK. From the first, traditionally, I am running for the
> backup tapes. There is a huge difference between running FLASHBACK TABLE
> and FLASHBACK DATABASE.
>
> But as to your initial comment: "allows truncate in some DDL
> statements." This is incorrect by almost any definition.
>
> TRUNCATE is DDL and TRUNCATE and is not allowed, whatever that means,
> in any other DDL statement. It is a statement unto itself.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I meant to say synoymns are allowed in severl DDL statements: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_7001.htm#sthref7346, so saying that synonyms are only allowed in DML is not correct.

Puropose of synonym is to use another name for existing name. If Oracle allows this, it should be consistent through all statements. You or anyone can come up with your own reasons why truncate is not allowed with synonyms, but in my view there is really no good reason why synoymns should not be allowed every where. Received on Sat Dec 20 2008 - 15:27:28 CST

Original text of this message