Re: Synonym in trucate table, drop table ...

From: joel garry <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:16:41 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 18, 10:46 am, wrote:
>  am on Oracle on HP UNIX 11i.
> When I execute a statement:
> truncate table t;
> where t is a synonym for a table tx
> I get error
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exit
> However, if I do truncate table tx
> table is deleted.
> synonym however works for insert, select, delete, update etc.
> What is rationale for not recognizing synonyms in ceratin statements.
> Thanks

I suppose it would be, when you are doing DDL, you want to do it on the proper object. says what you can do, but not the rationale. So I guess that means that's just the way it is. Also, consider the differences between public and private synonyms. Maybe it just gets too hinky with the possibilities of dependent objects with several degrees of separation.

Besides that, there are bugs, like this one "fixed in the patchset" metalink Note:603093.1

-- is bogus.
Spear phishing: