Re: QUERY TUNING

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:40:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:52:44 -0800, Helma wrote:

> to: Mladen Gogala
>
> For this SQL i don't think that running the system statistics will make
> any difference. But not running system statistics is just a bad idea,
> don't you agree?

I do agree, but I usually tend to solve the problem at hand.

> So i am currently in a mantra of ' take care of your statistics first'
> before trying anything else first.

If the problem at hand is soluble by providing a better statistics, I am all for it. The problem with the query given by the OP is that it doesn't have much room for improvement. The OP would need to reorganize his data and his queries. Also, the "!=" conditions are notoriously hard to resolve by using index.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com