Re: Global Temporary Table with column of type ROWID and Oracle Updates

From: Robert Klemme <>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:00:22 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 17, 7:58 am, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
> On 16.12.2008 20:11, joel garry wrote:
> > Probably, but "Note:
> > Segment shrink can be performed only on tables with row movement
> > enabled. Applications that explicitly track rowids of objects cannot
> > be shrunk, because the application tracks the physical location of
> > rows in the objects.
> > "
> > From
> I did not think of this, thanks for the valuable heads up!  Currently I
> do not think that the table affected will benefit from shrinking as
> there is not much deletion (if at all) going on.  But I'll surely check
> this!

The table does not have row movement enabled anyway so online shrinking is not possible.

Apart from that, I believe an exclusive table lock should do since the rowids are only stored temporarily, e.g.

lock table t1 in EXCLUSIVE MODE
alter table t1 SHRINK SPACE

Kind regards

robert Received on Wed Dec 17 2008 - 03:00:22 CST

Original text of this message