Re: Global Temporary Table with column of type ROWID and Oracle Updates

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:00:22 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 17, 7:58 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 16.12.2008 20:11, joel garry wrote:
> > Probably, but "Note:
>
> > Segment shrink can be performed only on tables with row movement
> > enabled. Applications that explicitly track rowids of objects cannot
> > be shrunk, because the application tracks the physical location of
> > rows in the objects.
> > "
>
> > Fromhttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/mgmt_d...
>
> I did not think of this, thanks for the valuable heads up!  Currently I
> do not think that the table affected will benefit from shrinking as
> there is not much deletion (if at all) going on.  But I'll surely check
> this!

The table does not have row movement enabled anyway so online shrinking is not possible.

Apart from that, I believe an exclusive table lock should do since the rowids are only stored temporarily, e.g.

lock table t1 in EXCLUSIVE MODE
/
alter table t1 SHRINK SPACE
/
commit
/

Kind regards

robert Received on Wed Dec 17 2008 - 03:00:22 CST

Original text of this message