Re: Global Temporary Table with column of type ROWID and Oracle Updates

From: Ed Prochak <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 06:04:23 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 16, 7:23 am, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
> All,
> I have proposed a solution which uses a global temporary table to
> remember an updated record via its rowid. Concerns have been risen
> that this will cause trouble in case of an update of the Oracle
> version (currently to another version with a changed format
> for ROWID type columns.  My reply was that during an upgrade of DB
> software there will be no segments of the global temporary table
> because of the way Oracle allocates segments (see [1]): only on first
> insert in a session a segment will be allocated and consequently only
> then data blocks will be formatted. So there should be no issue at all
> even if the format of ROWID changes.  Is my reasoning correct?  (I
> could not find anything relevant to this in metalink.)
> Thanks!
> robert
> [1]

I'm not clear on the question. Is the GTT holding the ROWID from another table? I think that would be okay. If it's the other way around, i.e, some table holding a ROWID pointing to the GTT, then I would agree with the concern.

Seems to me a global temporary table would be empty during any DB upgrade. I agree that ROWIDs should be used carefully.

   Ed Received on Tue Dec 16 2008 - 08:04:23 CST

Original text of this message