ASM and RAID

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:03:53 -0600

Now that we have sufficiently beat the RAID5 horse to death, let's add a twist to the debate. What is your experience either in the lab or real sites where you have the virtualization at the array level (pick your RAID level) in addition to the virtualization provided by ASM in an Oracle eBusiness environment.

Let's say you have Tier1 storage (high end whatever...) you have 50 spindles in a RAID0+1 providing ~12.5TB of raw storage that we carve out 100 50GB LUNS and present them to our ASM environment. How, in your testing and research, does performance either improve or suffer with the addition of ASM. The database is scattered across 6 separate disk groups with logfiles etc in their own disk group. Received on Mon Dec 15 2008 - 21:03:53 CST

Original text of this message