Re: asm on san

From: gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:47:07 GMT

"Michael Austin" <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com> wrote in message news:b9d1l.9924$yr3.4185_at_nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...
> Robert Klemme wrote:

>>> Yes, that is true, however, with todays technology, they mask it very
>>> well.  And as I stated, the virtualization and obfuscation at the array
>>> level, including the RAID settings within the array as well as stripping
>>> within ASM and potentially IBM's SVC front-end, the RAID level is
>>> *almost* a moot point.
>>
>> Yes, I agree. Unfortunately this is not too good news, because as the
>> importance of RAID level decreases, new challenges and potential sources
>> for issues arise: network topology, bandwidth, software issues in SAN
>> etc. - the whole thing has become significantly more complex than in the
>> old days(TM). :-)
>>

> What it does mean is that to be an effective DBA, we not only need to
> understand the database, but the total SYSTEM. Server, OS, SAN, Arrays,
> Networks, Application development processes and then FINALLY we can
> actually focus on our job. Keeping the database running efficiently.
>

> As in most environments ANY problem is always the database - until we -
> the DBA - prove otherwise.

> I have said for a LONG time, not just anyone can be a DBA.
I agree. THe whole thing is a chain and one must understand the chain to identify bottlenecks. For example, you could have data stripped across 1,000 disks and only have 1 CPU on the san, Your limitation is the CPU in that example.
Jim Received on Sun Dec 14 2008 - 14:47:07 CST

Original text of this message