Re: asm on san

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 01:21:27 +0100

On 13.12.2008 23:28, hpuxrac wrote:

> In this business you have got to be prepared for the fact that
> warm-and-fuzzy only lasts 3-5 years. And if someone doesn't keep up
> they fall by the wayside.

Switching to the latest and greatest all the time is not an option for everyone. Especially in the area of storage that back 24x7 systems large volume data migration can be difficult to impossible. IMHO understanding of the underlying technologies and how they will scale in a few years from now is important. There are some fundamental issues with RAID 5 that a large cache can only mask. It may well be that you hit the IO bandwidth limit no sooner than two years from now by which time you face a necessary hardware upgrade and migration of a few TB which can be painful - and costly.

> I've left behind Fortran, COBOL, DB2, and
> numerous
> other technologies because they weren't where it was happening. Why
> should I feel differently about hardware?

I'd say you are lucky if you can get rid of old or uninteresting stuff.   But I have heard that there is still a lot Fortran and COBOL programming going on today... :-)

> I would suggest that you read the following:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/lowcostst...

I get a 404 there. Did you mean this?
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/lowcoststorage.html

Basically they say, find out for yourself. Which is probably right, given the different requirements of systems and the vast number of options (especially since they change all the time).

Cheers

        robert Received on Sat Dec 13 2008 - 18:21:27 CST

Original text of this message