Re: asm on san

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:21:35 -0600

hpuxrac wrote:
> It certainly does depend a lot on vendor, hardware, type of system,
> load etc.
> The guy you are volleying back and forth with now is also someone who
> posted in here how wonderful Apple storage is using raid 5 and that
> everyone inside oracle corp was migrating to that kind of hardware
> plus he has lots of customers running production systems on that
> hardware.
> So you may not want to exercise some skepticism about this new
> religion against raid 5 from this poster. Might be having some second
> thoughts evidently ...

The "baarf" crowd has been around a long time, back when companies allowed you to have a single server w/locally attached storage for your app. In most companies I have dealt with over the past - say 8-10 years, you have a SAN cloud that your storage is carved from and you have NO control over how they maintain that storage. And not to mention the fact that you could be on an array with 10 other systems connected - competing for both bus bandwidth and spindle access due to the virtualization of the LUNs within that array. And when it comes to performance, as I stated, there are but a handful of systems that RAID10 vs RAID5 would ever make any real difference in performance. If I needed to build one of those systems, you could bet it would be a completely dedicated environment. Received on Sat Dec 13 2008 - 11:21:35 CST

Original text of this message