Re: asm on san

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:23:22 +0000

helter skelter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm preparing to test some configurations on san storage array. I would
> like to find out what will be better in my environment: raid1+0 or
> raid5. Other thing is what size of segment size should be configured on
> storage array. For example, I've got 5 disks in RAID5, so if ASM default
> stripe size for datafiles is 1MB, so segment size on strage shouls be
> 256KB to hit all drives, am I right?
> What tools are You recommend to do tests like this: sequentail/sequence
> reads etc? thanks
>
> oracle 10gr2, rhel5

I've found a lot of resistance to ASM from the *x admin and SAN folk. They don't seem to take kindly to Oracle and its DBAs invading what they see as their territory. Actually I have some sympathy with their viewpoint, if this is an enterprise class SAN, like EMC or something, and particularly where the SAN provider has a separate contract from the application/Oracle/*x admin providers.

Test by all means, but my gut feeling says aim for RAID10. As others have pointed out, RAID5 tends to be sub-optimal, and not worth the cost saving, unless there is an exceptionally heavy preponderance of reads, as opposed to writes.

Palooka Received on Thu Dec 11 2008 - 15:23:22 CST

Original text of this message