Re: oracle application server 10g tuning

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:20:58 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 4, 8:03 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 7:59 am, "hehehehe" <ehh..._at_ccc.ccc> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
>
> > CentOS 5.2 32bit  100% Cpu 4 core and 9gb  memory java used. Mayby some
> > tuning tricks? Or
> > something else?
>
> > help
>
> Additionally, you choose to install this on a distribution of Linux
> (CentOS) which is not certified by Oracle.  Even with the information
> requested in my prior post there may be nothing anyone can do to
> assist you.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

I wouldn't go that far. If you google centos 5.2 oracle 10g site:centos.org you'll see some organizations that publicly praise the combination; it is, after all, alledgedly the same as the supported distribution minus some copyrights. The real problem is production support from Oracle Corp. So, perhaps a better answer would be to advise using Oracle's linux. Or perhaps not, depending.

To the OP:

Here's some hints as to what to post: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj12 David was right to ask for a statspack for this type of issue. You are really looking for what is using so much cpu and what is waiting on that. The trick is to find out what is wrong and fix it. Most problems are from applications, though there can be some things systemwide  that need to be tuned. For example, a large SGA may contain an entire table that is being full-scanned because of a missing index statistic- that would pound your cpu, but the fix would be to calculate the index statistic, not change the SGA. But if the problem is waits for some buffer, it could be an I/O choke as the root cause, which could be from wrong asynch settings or...??? The definite wrong thing to do is to start twiddling settings without knowing what is really happening.

If anyone wants to summarize what to post for a performance question (besides a link to a metalink doc, though a link somewhere else that doesn't require membership would be ok), I'd be happy to incorporate it in the readme.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"... uses EJB, there's a demo which actually works, it writes all the