Re: Oracle Forms Server 6i and WebDB

From: Kike <pre_at_gunta.es>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:51:20 +0100

Mark, thanks for your answer.

You're right, I forgot the platform! :-( I need this information for a Windows operating system. It was installed in a Windows 2000 Server, but we are now installing Windows XP. We found WebDB for AIX only.

About server level backups... Well, it was a testing server, so it hadn't any backup. We had two servers, both with Windows 2000 Server: A testing machine, with WebDB + Forms Server 6i, and a real one, with Oracle iAS 9 + Forms Server 6i. I want to configure another test server, and set a backup policy for the real one. And, of course, plan a system migration (to Oracle 10g).

We have thought about making a backup of the real machine, and later dumping that image into a testing machine. But, if possible, I would like to make the things correctly, starting from zero. I'm a developer, and I have little idea about configuring servers :-(

Thank you again.

"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> escribió en el mensaje news:59e82d7b-a2f9-4f9e-942b-9995b7fdc7a3_at_d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com... On Dec 4, 11:51 am, "Kike" <p..._at_gunta.es> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It's the first time I get into this forum. I do really need your help...
>
> I have got a harddisk crash in a server with Forms Server 6i with Internet
> Application Server 9. I found that server working four years ago, and no
> documentation nor software is now available. So, I need to reconfigure a
> new
> server with that software, and I'm not sure which software do I need to
> deploy Oracle Forms in the web.
>
> I know, there are currently a good version (10g), and it's too easy to
> install and configure. But, for old application reasons, I need that old
> version configured. I think that I need the old WebDB to get Forms Server
> automatically configured with the listener (it's a testing server; the
> real
> one is working ok with iAS). So, if I'm true with this, can anybody tell
> me
> where can I find WebDB? (We have Oracle license, of course). Or, if it's
> not
> possible to get WebDB, can anybody tell me about others options to
> configure? (I don't know... Apache and the necessary steps, Oracle
> Application Server 10g with Forms Server 6i if it's possible...). I have
> tried to configure Forms Server 6i release 2 patch 10 (the one which comes
> with Oracle Developer 6i package) with Apache, but the Forms Server
> (throught the port 9000) ignores my Apache (port 80).
>
> Please help me. I'm absolutely desperate with this problem.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Kike, you post is lacking the platform that you need the software for and this is a critical peice of information since if someone sent you Forms 6i for AIX it would do you no good on Windows or HP-UX.

What about server level backups? Your system administrators should have made server level backups once or twice a year. Recover one of those then you could restore the most recent database backup.

That is if backups were taken.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Dec 04 2008 - 12:51:20 CST

Original text of this message