Re: Rman Question

From: <mrdjmagnet_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:25:29 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 10:44 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 10:38 am, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:

> > > You are incorrect, as you can use the SET NEWNAME command in RMAN to
> > > rename the files as they are written:
>
> > >http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdup...
>
> > > Reading the documentation would have answered these questions for you.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell
>
> > Ok, our production database is running on SERVER 1, we obviously
> > cannot restore there because the database is up, running, providing
> > data to our website, etc.
>
> > So I figure we can restore to a test server, go in, get the data that
> > was lost, and put it into our production database.  That is pretty
> > simple in terms of what we want to do.  Restore it elsewhere so we do
> > not disturb the production copy and retrieve the lost data.
>
> > Only issue is that the test server has slightly different mount point
> > names.......
>
> > So, is there a way to do this?  I thought I read something that you
> > can rename stuff and tell RMAN where it is.......- Hide quoted text -

> You don't visit links and read the information provided, apparently,
> as the link in my post shows you how to do this.
>
> I'd visit the page and read.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

David,

You seem to know a lot about this.

We backup every night with RMAN. A weekly (incremental level 0) is done every Sunday. We do not use a recovery catalog, we use our control file.

However, how can this be explained???

RMAN> LIST INCARNATION OF DATABASE NI00; using target database control file instead of recovery catalog

List of Database Incarnations
DB Key Inc Key DB Name DB ID STATUS Reset SCN Reset Time

1       1       NI00     3577991968       CURRENT 1          17-NOV-07

I do not understand? Why only 1 incarnation??? Received on Tue Dec 02 2008 - 12:25:29 CST

Original text of this message