Re: Rman Question

From: <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:38:38 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 10:33 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 10:17 am, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:

> > > Well the oracle rman documentation ( available freehttp://tahiti.oracle.com
> > > is one place ) is pretty comprehensive in this area.
>
> > > Just make sure that you are looking at documentation that matches the
> > > same version of oracle and same version of rman that you are going to
> > > be using.
>
> > > Robert Freeman among others has some pretty good books out in this
> > > area.
>
> > > It may be best to sit and read for a while before jumping in with a
> > > half formed plan of attack.
>
> > > If there are "specific" questions ... well fire away.  It makes many
> > > of us nervous though when people start throwing in terms like
> > > incarnation where it sounds like they might have some idea of recovery
> > > related concepts ... but also include questions about ( relatively )
> > > basic procedures like restoring on a different server.  Is there any
> > > reason you wouldn't want to restore the current incarnation in other
> > > words?
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Sorry for posting twice, but I found out some more info.   We do have
> > a test server.  However, the volume names are different.  On our
> > production server the volume names are /u01 - /u05.   On the test
> > server they are /u11 - /u15.   I assume that because of this a restore
> > is not possible???
>
> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

> You are incorrect, as you can use the SET NEWNAME command in RMAN to
> rename the files as they are written:
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdup...
>
> Reading the documentation would have answered these questions for you.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Ok, our production database is running on SERVER 1, we obviously cannot restore there because the database is up, running, providing data to our website, etc.

So I figure we can restore to a test server, go in, get the data that was lost, and put it into our production database. That is pretty simple in terms of what we want to do. Restore it elsewhere so we do not disturb the production copy and retrieve the lost data.

Only issue is that the test server has slightly different mount point names.......

So, is there a way to do this? I thought I read something that you can rename stuff and tell RMAN where it is....... Received on Tue Dec 02 2008 - 10:38:38 CST

Original text of this message