Re: triggers on views

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:44:06 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 8:28 am, Veganders <vegand..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> A small error have worked its way into the code while simplifying it.

Obviously you are now ready to move from being a student to working as a developer as your statement above sounds very similar to what many of our developers would tell us.

Of course those changes never sneak in "just before" it gets moved into production ... nudge nudge wink wink.

> Where the view says student, it should instead be ID, and also in the
> two tables, the primary keys should be ID instead of student, and no
> course.

Perhaps posting all of the current "simplified code" as it is ... while you ask people to take a look at it ... might be a good idea ... plus perhaps holding off on pending changes ...

From the high level view triggers are evil and should generally be avoided at almost any cost. A dependency on triggers often is a result of a flawed or incomplete database design or shortcuts taken in application development approaches. Received on Tue Dec 02 2008 - 08:44:06 CST

Original text of this message